Labor Day Schedule - Aug. 30 - Sept. 1
August Wellness Programs
Yoga Teacher Training - Nov. 7, 2014 - June 7, 2015
Personal Training at Y Bowen
Hottest Group Exercise
Future Leaders Youth Academy
Happy Labor Day!
Please note our Modified Hours and Group Exercise Schedule
during the holiday weekend. Have a safe and healthy celebration!
Sat., August, 30th: Facility Open 8am to 4pm
Child Watch Open 9am to 2pm
11:00am Power Yoga
12:00pm Power Yoga
Sun., August 31st: Facility Open 8am to 4pm
Child Watch Closed
10:00am Body Combat
10:00am Vinyasa Yoga
11:00am Body Pump
Mon., September 1st: Facility Open 8am to 4pm
Child Watch Closed
12:00pm Boot Camp
12:00pm Power Yoga
"Stress Less" in august
PERSONAL TRAINING: For Yoga Practitioners!
Exercise in almost any form can act as a stress reliever! Being active can boost your feel-good endorphins and distract you from daily worries. Invest in your health and well-being this August! Below are our featured programs for Personal Training, Running Clubs and Adventure Club. Our August wellness programs begin August 18th, so register today
! For our class schedules, please click here
SMALL GROUP TRAINING: Adventure Race Training Program
- Now you can work out and get your yoga on – all in one program! Enjoy personalized instruction one- on one, with a partner, or in a small group setting under the guidance of a personal trainer and yoga instructor. If you’re a beginner, you will learn the fundamentals of yoga so that upon the completion of this program you will be ready to take any intermediate level yoga class at the Y.
INDIVIDUAL PERSONAL TRAINING: Stress Less
- Adventure Race Training has taken DC by storm. This program includes focus on upper body strength, balance, agility, endurance, running and fun! Y Team Shirts will be purchased for all participants to wear. All programs are facilitated by one our certified personal training team members. SGT launches August 18th with a free trial week August 11th–16th. Classes run for 6 weeks (2 x a week). Enroll today!
PARTNER TRAINING: Partner Up, Save Money & Reduce Stress
- Sign up today for our “Stress Less” promotion. Thirteen 1-hour sessions with a certified personal trainer for $720, plus a free workout session! Personal training at the Y includes a Custom Program Plan, Pre/Post Assessments, and tons of fun and encouragement!
*Must have partner to purchase at this price.
- Sign up for this great summer partner personal training program. Four sessions for $162 per person or 8 sessions for $310. If you do not have a partner we will match you up! This program includes a Full Fitness Assessment based on goals, 4 or 8 one-hour sessions, and a Partner Program Plan w/results!
ACTIVITY CLUB: Anthony Bowen Running Club
yoga teacher TRAINING
- The running club will be facilitated by the Y’s Certified Personal Trainers and experienced runners. This group meets twice a week (Wed., 7-8pm and Sat., 9-10am) for organized runs in the Shaw/U Street community. All runner skills levels are welcome! There are also several races highlighted that the club may race in to represent Y Anthony Bowen.
Coming this Fall: Yoga Alliance 200-Hour Teacher Training!
to read more information and to apply. The program starts November 7th, but space is limited, so please register early!
To get you started on your journey to becoming a better yogi, here are the 10 Attributes of Great Yoga Teachers
Let's Work Together
We all need the advice of an expert sometimes, as well as the personal attention that comes with a trainer or coach. Our Y offers one-on-one and partner training with Certified Personal Trainers to help you get motivated, overcome plateaus, achieve a race or sports goal and more!
for information about our programs and rates.
Introducing our newest and hottest group exercise programs. Try any of these classes for free! If you have any questions, please email Angela Meyer, our Regional Group Exercise Director.
Sink into your practice, deepen stretches, find proper alignment naturally and reap the benefits of inversions without strain on the joints of the body. Through Aerial Yoga, you will gain core stability, lose weight and enhance full range of motion. The class is therapeutic, yet a great workout! Reserve your hammock today and make time fly at the Y. Read this article
from HandStandDC about a recent Aerial Yoga experience! Need more motivation? Here are 5 reasons why
you should try Aerial Yoga.
Y-Fit is the most effective Progressive Fitness training the YMCA has to offer, for as low as $6 per class! Every participant will receive a personalized workout that focuses on proper technique. The instructor will meet each participant where they are and take them as far as they want to go. We will keep you safe, educated and motivated to achieve your best results. You will broaden and deepen their fitness experience by training at appropriate levels and intervals with TRX, ViPR, Olympic lifting, Power lifting, H.I.I.T., Tabata and Sandbags.
Krav Maga, the official hand-to-hand combat system of the Israeli Defense Forces and the preferred system for U.S. Military and law enforcement personnel, is not a traditional martial arts system. There are no rituals. There are no Katas. This reality-based system is based on simple principles and instinctive movements, designed to teach real self defense in the shortest possible time.
Y-Martial Arts classes are taught under the leadership of DC’s top Krav Maga instructor, self defense expert and 2011 MMA World Champion, Chris Torres (read more about Chris here
!). Students will learn a practical approach to self defense together, and through realistic training drills, burn fat and build muscle in uniquely fun and challenging way. Take unlimited classes for only $45 per month.
Wondering if Martial Arts is for you? Click here
to learn why Regional Group Exercise Director Angela Meyer practices Martial Arts!
Budokon Academy Program
The Budokon Academy Program at YMCA Anthony Bowen is open to anyone who is interested in a full education within the Budokon yogic/martial/living arts system. It is open to all levels and is great for yogis, martial artists, and anyone in between. In the Academy, students will start as white belts and work toward their black belt by attending weekly classes. This training package includes all Y Martial Arts classes, Budokon Academy classes and Y-Fit classes.
The Legacy Continues...
We've been innovating for 160 years and we're just getting started. This redeveloped YMCA unites the right minds and resources for community interaction, education, healthy living, and our life-changing programs. The unique design celebrates the legacy of YMCA Anthony Bowen as historically the first African American Y, founded in 1853, along with its ability to adapt and serve our community’s evolving needs. It also pays tribute to its famed visitors (such as Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Poet Langston Hughes and Dr. Charles Drew) and founder Anthony Bowen, a slave who purchased his freedom in 1830 and went on to become a prominent religious and community leader. Click here for a detailed history of this Y's service