Coat & Toy Drives
Cooking Classes in Oct.
Yoga Teacher Training - Nov. 7, 2014 - June 7, 2015
Birthday Parties at the Y
Hottest Group Exercise
History of YMCA Anthony Bowen
Spread Warmth & Cheer This Holiday Season
The holiday season is a time for giving, and our annual Coat & Toy Drives bring warmth and joy to hundreds of local families. Please consider donating during the below drives... your gift may be the only coat or toy they receive.
November 1 - December 1
Help kids and adults stay warm this winter. Donate new or gently used coats, hats, scarves and gloves.
Give local children a gift they'll never forget by donating a new, unwrapped toys!
get back to routine
Healthy Living Programs
Vacation is over and school is in session, so make sure you're not neglecting your health! Being active can boost your feel-good endorphins and distract you from daily worries. Invest in your health and well-being this September! Below are our featured programs for Personal Training, Small Group Training and Adventure Clubs. Our wellness programs begin September 15th, so register today
! For our class schedules, please click here
ADVENTURE RACE TRAINING
- For the month of September, we're offering 5 one-hour Personal Training sessions for $260! Package includes a Custom Program Plan, Pre/Post Assessments, and tons of fun and encouragement. Our trainers have expertise in general fitness, chronic disease management, sport-specific training and outdoor race training. For more information, please see a Wellness Team Member or email Lisa Horton, Wellness Director!
TRAINING FOR YOGA PRACTITIONERS
- Adventure Race Training has taken DC by storm. This program includes focus on upper body strength, balance, agility, endurance, running and fun! We have individual, partner and small group programs for your needs and budget. All programs are facilitated by one our certified personal training team members.
WOMEN ON WEIGHTS (W.O.W.)
- This 6-week program focuses on correct alignment in the very basic as well as more advanced types of exercises. We’ll also learn a lot of good stretches for all the body parts that help you increase your flexibility and range of motion, and prevent injury. We have individual, partner and small group programs for your needs and budget!
"ROCK THE BELLS" KETTLEBELL TRAINING
- This 6-week program is designed to help women gain a sculpted physique while building confidence with a variety of weight training equipment. Ladies will be led through an innovative strength & core stability program.
ACTIVITY CLUB: Anthony Bowen Running Club
- This Full Body Workout will increase strength and shed body fat. The program entails a healthy combination of Kettlebell Exercises intertwined with interval training and core exercises on our wellness floor. Facilitated by Tyler Brown, one of our talented certified personal trainers.
Cooking Classes in OCtober!
- The running club will be facilitated by the Y’s Certified Personal Trainers and experienced runners. This group meets twice a week (Wed., 7-8pm and Sat., 9-10am) for organized runs in the Shaw/U Street community. All runner skills levels are welcome! There are also several races highlighted that the club may race in to represent Y Anthony Bowen.
What we eat can have the biggest effect on our stress, energy and overall health. We are thrilled to launch cooking classes
this October in our demo kitchen!
We are bringing you exciting nutrition classes to help you eat and live well! With free classes, six week programs and even grocery store tours, we hope to give you all the tools you need to bring healthy cooking into your home.
yoga teacher TRAINING
Coming this Fall: Yoga Alliance 200-Hour Teacher Training!
to read more information and to apply. The program starts November 7th, but space is limited, so please register early!
To get you started on your journey to becoming a better yogi, here are the 10 Attributes of Great Yoga Teachers
Birthday Parties at the Y
Looking to throw a party for your child’s upcoming birthday that all the kids and parents will be talking about?We have tons of fun-filled themes and activities for you to choose from! We can also customize a party to fit your child’s favorite subject, character or pastime. Click here
to explore the birthday party options we have to offer your child at YMCA Anthony Bowen!
Introducing our newest and hottest group exercise programs. Try any of these classes for free! If you have any questions, please email Angela Meyer, our Regional Group Exercise Director.
Sink into your practice, deepen stretches, find proper alignment naturally and reap the benefits of inversions without strain on the joints of the body. Through Aerial Yoga, you will gain core stability, lose weight and enhance full range of motion. The class is therapeutic, yet a great workout! Reserve your hammock today and make time fly at the Y. Read this article
from HandStandDC about a recent Aerial Yoga experience! Need more motivation? Here are 5 reasons why
you should try Aerial Yoga.
Y-Fit is the most effective Progressive Fitness training the YMCA has to offer, for as low as $6 per class! Every participant will receive a personalized workout that focuses on proper technique. The instructor will meet each participant where they are and take them as far as they want to go. We will keep you safe, educated and motivated to achieve your best results. You will broaden and deepen their fitness experience by training at appropriate levels and intervals with TRX, ViPR, Olympic lifting, Power lifting, H.I.I.T., Tabata and Sandbags.
Krav Maga, the official hand-to-hand combat system of the Israeli Defense Forces and the preferred system for U.S. Military and law enforcement personnel, is not a traditional martial arts system. There are no rituals. There are no Katas. This reality-based system is based on simple principles and instinctive movements, designed to teach real self defense in the shortest possible time.
Y-Martial Arts classes are taught under the leadership of DC’s top Krav Maga instructor, self defense expert and 2011 MMA World Champion, Chris Torres (read more about Chris here
!). Students will learn a practical approach to self defense together, and through realistic training drills, burn fat and build muscle in uniquely fun and challenging way. Take unlimited classes for only $45 per month.
Wondering if Martial Arts is for you? Click here
to learn why Regional Group Exercise Director Angela Meyer practices Martial Arts!
Budokon Academy Program
The Budokon Academy Program at YMCA Anthony Bowen is open to anyone who is interested in a full education within the Budokon yogic/martial/living arts system. It is open to all levels and is great for yogis, martial artists, and anyone in between. In the Academy, students will start as white belts and work toward their black belt by attending weekly classes. This training package includes all Y Martial Arts classes, Budokon Academy classes and Y-Fit classes.
The Legacy Continues...
We've been innovating for 160 years and we're just getting started. This redeveloped YMCA unites the right minds and resources for community interaction, education, healthy living, and our life-changing programs. The unique design celebrates the legacy of YMCA Anthony Bowen as historically the first African American Y, founded in 1853, along with its ability to adapt and serve our community’s evolving needs. It also pays tribute to its famed visitors (such as Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, Poet Langston Hughes and Dr. Charles Drew) and founder Anthony Bowen, a slave who purchased his freedom in 1830 and went on to become a prominent religious and community leader. Click here for a detailed history of this Y's service