Inspiring kids to learn and grow
A STEM festival where kids design their own experience! Together, we’re "creating the best future" today! STEM is everywhere. It shapes our everyday experiences and is designing our future. It opens the doors to strategic thinking, creative expression and the best careers. At the YMCA, young people have numerous opportunities to learn, play and be inspired through STEM. The YMCA’s THINGAMAJIG® Invention Convention is just one example of how the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington embraces STEM education. Originally created by Janice Williams, Senior Vice President of Program Development, as a way to spark the inventive and creative minds of DC
children through hands-on exhibits and challenges. Twenty-two years later, Thingamajig® keeps getting bigger and better.
- BRANCH & GROUP REGISTRATION FORM- ANY Individual participants, organizations and camps need this form.
- CHILDREN OF VOLUNTEER AND STAFF REGISTRATION FORM- This form will need to be completed for each child that will be attending this event with your camp, organization, or staff.
- INVENTIONS CHALLENGE RULES- All inventions are to be submitted Wednesday July 26th, 2017 between 9a-2p at Prince George’s County Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
- The EMOJI CHALLENGE REGISTRATION FORM- Express yourself through the creation of your own Emoji!
- PRESIDENTIAL CHALLENGE TEAM RULES AND DETAILS- Enjoy the on-the-spot challenge involving 10 teams made up of 10 children and two staff members.
- PRESIDENTIAL CHALLENGE TEAM REGISTRATION FORM- Remember to follow the instructions carefully
- FUTURE FILMMAKERS IN ACTION REGISTRATION FORM- Theme: STEM in motion with no more than 5 people involved with the creation of the film.
- TRASHION FASHION SHOW REGISTRATION FORM- Turn Your Trash into FASHION!
Meet Dave a YMCA Thingamajig Inventor and the 1st place winner of our 2016 Thingamajig® Invention Convention. Follow his story as he enters this year’s Thingamajig® happening July 27th at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlborough, MD. Then Follow us on social media as Thingamajig® goes live to catch up with Dave and the other contestants on their big day. #ThingamajigTV #imaginethepossible
Every year, a diverse group of community leaders join us to share their expertise with the kids: the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, Microsoft, the FAA, Washington Gas, DC Dept. of Public Works, LEGO Lab and MUCH more. With invention challenges, an on-the-spot group challenge and over 50 workshops, kids leave with an experienced understanding of the world, their health and their future.
To learn more, contact La Shaun Murray at 202-797-4488 or LaShaun.Murray@ymcadc.org.
inspiring kids to learn and grow
Thanks to all of our sponsors, workshop hosts and volunteers for inspiring 4,150 kids to reach for the stars at the 2016 Thingamajig Invention Convention, held on July 28, 2016. With the help of over 500 volunteers, area youth were able to explore science and technology as never before.
Through working with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, our Thingamajig® experience is expanding to new YMCA’s across the country! More than a dozen YMCA’s from Seattle to Massachusetts, kickstarted their own conventions both last and this years. Together, we’re creating the best future from coast to coast.