REOPENING TIMELINE FOR YMCA & BRANCH OPERATIONS
When will the YMCA full service facilities reopen?
- In VIRGINIA: as part of reopening as put forth by the Governor of Virginia, the YMCA branches in Virginia reopened in phase two on Monday, June 15th.
- In MARYLAND: per the County’s Executive Order, the YMCA branches reopened in phase two on Saturday, June 20th.
- In the DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA: as part of the reopening put forth by the Mayor, the YMCA branch in the District of Columbia reopened on Wednesday, June 24th.
What are the hours that my YMCA will be open?
As we re-openly slowly with restricted capacity, please find our hours of operation linked below.
When will the pools be open?
All of the YMCA pools are open and reservations are required. To place a reservation, please click here.
How will the weather impact the Y’s outdoor fitness activities?
To serve more members, the YMCA is offering outdoor activities. The activities are subject to be cancelled if it rains or is too hot. Updates will be posted on the YMCA website. If you have questions or want to check on the status of operations, please call your branch. To review the YMCA inclement weather policy, click here.
What can we expect to see when the YMCA reopens?
- Clean, refurbished facilities. The YMCA has been thoroughly cleaning each facility, all equipment, and buses. The Y has made many cost-effective enhancements while the facilities have been closed.
- New safety measures. The YMCA has put new safety measures in place that support government mandates and the guidance of health organizations on social distancing, capacity limits, cleanliness and hygiene & staff training.
- New outdoor activities and expanded online offerings. The YMCA plans to offer plenty of outdoor activities throughout each phase of reopening. Members are strongly encouraged to reserve their participation before leaving home. Recognizing that social distancing requirements are limiting our capacity to serve members in-person, the majority of the group exercise classes offered at the Y will be broadcast live online. This will provide members an opportunity to stay engaged with their favorite instructors, and enjoy classes taught across the entire DMV, from the comfort of their home.
- Improved “touchless, paperless, dedicated” service. When YMCA facilities reopen, the calls normally handled by the front desk will be handled by dedicated YMCA Welcome Center staff that support local call center operations. Transactions that normally took place at the front desk will be handled online or over the phone. This will result in dedicated, improved service; reduce the potential for person-to-person contact; and create a safer environment for members and staff.
- Continued community support. The Y will continue food distribution, blood drives, volunteer support and more to serve our community.
Am I required to wear a mask at all times when at the YMCA?
- Wearing a mask on Y property is required at all times, including while exercising indoors. Wearing a mask while exercising outdoors when social distancing is maintained is not required, but recommended. Wearing a mask is not required when exercising in the swimming pool.
Are membership payments continuing at this time?
The YMCA is a nonprofit charity that relies on membership dues and donations to support the majority of the work we do. Without ongoing support from YMCA members, the Y may cease to exist, and this will leave a critical gap in services (that goes well beyond health and wellness) across the metropolitan region. While being sensitive to individual financial needs and circumstances, the YMCA respectfully requests that members continue their membership payments at this time. All membership payments made while the YMCA was closed will be recognized as tax-deductible charitable contributions to the YMCA.
If you cannot afford to continue your regular membership payments, but still want to help in some capacity, please email [email protected]. Members that continue to support the YMCA in this way will receive a letter acknowledging their contribution at year-end to be used for tax purposes.
I have continued to make membership payments to the Y as a charitable donation. When will I receive my letter for tax purposes?
Thank you for your continued support. Understanding that YMCA resources are limited at this time, the YMCA plans to send the letters out to members starting 60- days after the YMCA facilities have reopened.
Can I place my membership on hold?
At any YMCA facility that continues to be closed due to the COVID19 pandemic, members may place their monthly membership payments on hold until the facility reopens and the standard hold fee will be waived.
If members already conveyed a need to place their membership on an extended hold during the pandemic, and this time extends beyond when their home YMCA facility resumes operations, this extended hold time period will be honored and the standard hold fee will not be charged for said time period. Once the extended hold time period ends, the normal monthly membership fees will automatically resume.
If members wish to place their membership on-hold after their home YMCA branch reopens, the standard membership policy stated in the Membership Handbook, and corresponding hold fees, will apply.
Starting in phase one, members that are on hold that would like to resume working out at the YMCA when their branch reopens may end the hold on their membership by sending an email to [email protected]. Members that return to the YMCA to work out must have an active membership, therefore, members that return to the Y while their membership is still on hold will have their membership hold lifted and membership payments will resume.
For more information, please contact [email protected]. Please know that over time, based on the state of the pandemic and corresponding government mandates, the hold policy will be reassessed.
When will my membership payments resume?
For members that have placed their membership on hold during the COVID19 pandemic, on the date of the first draft (either the 10th or 26th) in the month after YMCA facilities have reopened, membership payments will resume. For example,
- If the YMCA reopens on June 9th, or
- If the YMCA reopens on the June 16th, or
- If the YMCA reopens on the June 27th, …in each of these scenarios
Membership payments will resume on the 10th and 26th of July.
Inactive members that return to the Y while their membership is still on hold will have their membership hold lifted and membership payments will automatically resume.
I registered for a class/program/service that has already been cancelled. Will I receive a refund?
So that we can be prepared to offer you the same class/program/service when we reopen, the YMCA will provide a credit for your participation in the next scheduled class/program/service of your choice. If you need a refund at this time, please email [email protected].
I registered for a class/program/service that may be cancelled depending on when the Y reopens. What is going to happen?
The YMCA will be in communication with you regarding the facility operating status and our ability to deliver the class/program/service that you are registered to participate in. Visit www.ymcadc.org/stayinformed for updates.
I have additional questions and would like to speak with a representative.
- Please call your local branch during the branch hours of operation and a Y staff member will gladly assist you.
- You can also send an email to Y staff at [email protected] for assistance.